Wednesday, November 2, 2011
What's in a name?
I went to the doctor yesterday for a baby check up. Hearing my little one's heartbeat never gets old, but my main excitement in going to this appointment was getting to set the next one, which is our second ultrasound and gender reveal time!
My doctor asked if we were going to find out, and without hesitation I said yes. I mean, back in the day, Courtney and I would tell what Mom and Dad were getting the other for Christmas. We couldn't stand not knowing. (Incidentally, when Scott and I got married I was shocked that he wouldn't participate in this game and insisted on keeping gifts secret until Christmas day. Some people...) So of course, between my hatred of secrets and Scott's type A personality, we'll hopefully find out on Nov. 29.
Now that the day is set, though, I'm feeling the crunch of figuring out the name situation for boy and girl. How do you even go about giving a kid a name? I mean, so what if Scott and I like it; our child is the one who will have to answer to it, learn to spell it, bubble it in on a Scantron, and so much more. It's a daunting task.
While we have our front runners, there's still a little indecision lurking there. It's a pretty permanent thing.
For those who have named a child, how did you go about it? Did both of you love the name equally going about it, or was it ultimately decided in a grand rock/paper/scissors battle? Let me know in the comments!
P.S. You now have 27 days to cast your vote in the right sidebar as to what you think Baby Hannigan's gender is. Get to it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Jennifer and Scott, my husband and I both named our daughter. I had always wanted to name my daughter (Grace) after a very special lady who meant a lot to me from my home church. My husband liked the name Allison. We didn't want to just call her just one of the name, so she agreed to call her Allison Grace. Being that she was adopted from China, she also has part of her Chinese name too. I hope this helps in some way. Congratulations and have fun naming your child! Once you hear the right name...you will know it. :-)
ReplyDeleteNaming Arabel was REALLY hard!! We had a really long list of possibilities...I would go around the house and say a name out loud trying to picture it with our baby girl. It was really hard!! At first I didn't like the name Arabel; I crossed it off the list. One night though, we were sitting around and Justin was looking up names and meanings and said, "what about Arabel? It means prayerful/yearning to pray/stopping to pray" I thought about it and said, "I like it :) How are we going to spell it? Arabelle? Bell? Bel?" and he said, "Bel" and I said, "ok! that's it :)" And we had named our girl!
ReplyDeleteALL that being said--the meaning really helped us decide. But don't ask how we're going to do it this time around if it's a girl--that was hard enough the first time! lol I'm sure you'll pick a name that will be perfect for all of you :)
I've never named a child, but I have some thoughts based on my own name! Being a child whose first name ended in a consonant and last name began with one, it was sometimes hard to say! It's still a bit of a mouthful, so I'd say think about ending in a vowel for the sake of flow, but the "h" as opposed to a "b" is a bit of a better start! Regardless, I'm confident the name you choose will be perfect. I can't wait to meet your little one!
ReplyDeleteWell, I haven never named a child before (obviously) but I have named two dogs. Definitely NOT the same thing. Josh and I have agreed on a girl's name we both like, but we have yet to come up with a boy's name. He want's something manly like Thor or Axe...but I promise you now that I will not be the mother of a tool or superhero.
ReplyDeleteSorry, this is advice I just can't offer. But good luck!
Oh, I do have SOME advice: if it is a girl and you want a 'gender neutral' name, at least give her the girlie version. (ie: Alexis for Alex...not just plain 'ole Alex which isn't short for anything). My entire life I heard "Oh, your name is Alex? Is that short of Alexis or Alexander?" Erk!
ReplyDelete