Monday, August 15, 2011

The Pinterest Challenge: Summer edition


My friend Alex posted this to my Facebook last week and told me I needed to do this. But then, like most things I do, I ended up doing it late. I was supposed to have this post up last Tuesday, but instead I'm going to make it two posts and a week late. I like to make things my own, after all.

I'm always nervous about doing something I've seen online because I'm afraid I won't do it as well as the original, like this pin I found:

Note: I didn't make these cupcakes. I found this picture on Pinterest.

But I put on my big girl craft pants and went to work. My Pinterest is heavy with items on my "to crochet" list. Sometimes I feel like I should apologize to my followers for my yarn-centric pins, but there are so many awesome things to make out there! I'd been looking for the perfect baby gift to make for my coworker Heather's baby shower when I found this adorable teddy bear hat.

[via]
The pin didn't lead to a pattern, so I was left to my own devices as far as making it. I have a generic baby hat, but it was the alternating patterns that had me scared. Was I woman enough to tackle these various stitches? After some time searching YouTube (where I've learned most of my stitches), I went to work on this baby shower gift. Here's the final result.


I think it's pretty spot on! I really love the criss-cross stitch and think the various stitches give the hat lots of texture and character. I can't wait to see it modeled in a few more weeks! To go along with the hat, I crocheted my first stuffed animal — appropriately enough, a teddy bear.


I think they make a cute pair, don't you? And while the bear didn't come from Pinterest inspiration, I couldn't help but show her off anyway. I'm a crafter and a bragger.

Later this week I'll show you the bracelets I made from another Pinterest inspiration. Try not to soil yourself with excitement, OK?

What Pinterest-inpired crafts have you undertaken?

P.S. Want to see more of my Pinterest crafts? Click here.

Linked up at The Crafty Nest


Featured On The Crafty Nest

2 comments:

  1. I may need to request that you make one of each of these when I need one - they are adorable!

    ReplyDelete