Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Not my mother's Halloween costume

Too legit to quit
In my Halloween costume hall of fame, there is one that tops them all — the pink Power Ranger. I mean, that helmet, those boots, the iron-ons! How can anything top its majesty? The costume was made all the more special as it was tirelessly crafted by my mom. She has always been a great seamstress — whether it was sewing my sister's and my Easter dresses, making our American Girl dolls' clothes, or just hemming our always-too-long-for-our-short-legs pants.

Her sewing abilities, despite her best efforts, were not passed down to me, though, and when it came time to create Preston's costume for this year, I was at a loss. I picked Peter Pan because 1) I think Preston would make a cute Peter, 2) maybe if I dress him as the boy who never grew up, he won't grow up himself, and 3) it's easy to hobble together without really making anything.

Supplies//Trying on the shirt//Zig-zaggy cutting
I picked up some black leggings and a green shirt a couple of sizes too big at Walmart and cut the shirt bottom and sleeves zig-zaggy. (Is "zig-zaggy" even a word? Let's roll with it.) Belt it with some yarn I had on hand and *ta-da!* Peter Pan. The only problem? The hat. Peter Pan needs a classic Peter Pan hat. It makes the look.

And to my great fear, every Peter Pan hat tutorial I found included the S-word — sewing. I thought about fabric gluing it, but I didn't want it looking horribly made. I could hear Tim Gunn critiquing its poor construction in my head ("I'm sorry. This hat just looks tortured. I'm just flabbergasted.") Luckily, my friend Cassie came to my rescue. I cut out the pieces from green felt, and she sewed the two sides together. While it sounds simple enough for even a beginning sewing student, to me it was basically brain surgery, and Cassie is a skilled surgeon. She was even in the midst of making her own son's costume — the cutest little squirrel costume you've ever seen. She's definitely beating me for Mom of the Year this year.

Peter Pan and his remote, the only way he would stand still// "Preston, please wear your hat." "No no no!"
I'm pleased with the final outcome. I still need to make the red feather for the hat (or maybe I'll just leave it off) and maybe a little cardboard sword for him to stick in his belt. He at least looks like Peter Pan — or an elf. Hey! He could wear it again for our Christmas card!

Maybe next year I'll have tackled my sewing fear head-on and created a memorable costume for Preston. Or I'll just break down and have mom do it.

5 comments:

  1. He looks so cute! I can't believe how fast he is growing! And the costume looks great, Momma! I'm not a sewer either so when I have a little one to dress up for Halloween, I may copy your just-cut-a-shirt idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Pink Ranger was definitely the coolest Ranger of them all. Good choice. And yes, Preston makes the cutest Peter Pan ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comprehensive Info & Solutions
    about Bed Bugs! Bed Bugs Alert Research and Information Portal MidMos Solutions
    Ltd introduced a range of products to assist individuals and pest control
    professionals.

    Rating Therapist

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Charlene! I'm sure there is a whole category of cut-a-shirt costume ideas on Pinterest. If not, we need to start one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course she was! There was a skirt built into her suit! And thanks, I think he's pretty cute, too.

    ReplyDelete