Monday, January 10, 2011

Snow day!

 About 3-4 inches in our yard
One of the joys of working in higher education is that I get some of the perks of being an educator without really having to educate. A snow day is one of those perks. When the flurries finally showed up at our house (5 p.m., right when they were supposed to), I already had my fingers crossed for an unexpected three-day weekend. 

Although I didn't sleep with my pj's inside-out, the guaranteed way to conjure up a snow day as my sister and I learned years ago, the snow still kept me out of work today. 

 
I decided to try something new on my first snow day of the year — snow cream. I'd never made any before and thought it'd be a nice way to celebrate my snowed-in state. The steps I used can be found here, but I divided everything by four since I was just making it for myself.

I mixed 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup milk and 1/2 tsp. of vanilla in the mixing bowl before I went outside.

Then I scooped 2 cups of snow from the backyard and added it to the bowl. (The site I used stressed to avoid snow of the yellow variety.)

I mixed the snow into the mixture until it had a creamy texture. I must have looked like a crazy person, crouched out on my patio in my pj's, rain boots, giant scarf and a mixing bowl. This is why I need kids on a snow day. No one thinks a grown woman doing these things is crazy when kids are around.

Once inside, I quickly transfered the snow cream into a bowl and added some chocolate chips for good measure. I had to eat quickly as the snow cream was quickly turning into snow soup. It was really good!

I hope you had a safe and warm snow day! Now I guess I'll go do something productive, like the laundry.

View from the front door

1 comment: