Saturday, January 1, 2011

So you say you've got a resolution

Happy 2011 everyone! Hope you had a happy and safe time ringing in the new year. I stayed in and off the streets as my mom has it drilled into my head that all the crazies and drunks will be on the roads that night.

And since the new year is now upon us, so are the ever-dreaded new year's resolutions. Usually, I try not to set one since it'll probably fall by the wayside by Jan. 3, but this year I've decided to set a few in hopes that at least one will stick with me until March. Maybe having them in writing will help me out this time.

Here's my list:

1. Read the Bible in its entirety. I'm ashamed to say that while I've read every Harry Potter book at least twice, I've never read the book on which my entire life is based completely through even once. I asked Scott last night if he'd read the Bible completely. He said that, while he had never gone from start to finish in a set amount of time, he was sure that over the years he had read everything in it. I don't feel like I can say the same. I'm sure there are passages that I've never seen before, and I want to remedy that. I've found a website with several different lists for daily reading (start to finish, chronological, some New Testament and some Old Testament, etc.) and have the chronological list printed and ready to be marked off.

2. Run a 5K. My on again, off again love/hate relationship with my treadmill has been well documented here (like this or this), but I'm determined to stay the course this time and run at least one 5K this year. Once that's marked off, I'm toying with the idea of a 10K, but I'm not going to let my eyes get bigger than my stomach — or my running shoes or whatever.

3. Complain less. While this is one of those unquantifiable goals, I want to stop myself from being such a Debbie Downer. If I can stop myself from complaining at least once a day, I think that would be a big improvement and would probably cut back on other complaints throughout the day. Most of the time, it's because I don't have anything else to say, so I feel the need to moan about the weather, my shoes, the computer, or whatever. I don't want most of my conversations with people to be negative, griping ones. I want to be a more positive person and for my speech to reflect that.

Have you set a resolution for 2011? What is it? I promise to encourage you in yours if you help me with mine. Let's make 2011 a great one!

2 comments:

  1. I just got your blog title...I'm so pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!!
    I'm Ashley and the author of the blog A Hasty Life. I just started the well-known challenge 30 for 30. I chose 30 articles of clothing to wear for 30 days. I would love for you to bop on over to my blog and follow me as I attempt this challenge!

    <3 Ashley
    www.ahastylife.com

    ReplyDelete