As I've mentioned before, a seamstress I am not. When it comes to DIY projects, it needs to include a hot glue gun or elementary school-level gross motor skills for me to do it. That's why I love this project: You just have to be able to use scissors and tie a knot. This is the second garland I've made like this, inspired by the rustic-looking fabric garlands I'd seen on — you guessed it — Pinterest. This one was for a camping themed baby shower, but I think the colors work well for Christmas, too, so I'm getting dual use out of it!
All you need is some fabric (about a yard of each should do it), scissors, and string (I've used twine before, and yarn for this one. Really, whatever you have around works). Cut strips of fabric twice as long as you want it to be (you'll fold it in half) and as thick as you want. I did about 10 inches by 2 inches.
Once you have a good little stack to work with, it's knot time. With your fabric folded in half, place it behind your string. Then bring the folded end to the front and loop the tail end through the folded part. Pull the tails to tighten the knot. And that's it! Like I said, simple. Keep doing that until you have as many fabric knots as you like, leaving some extra string at either end for hanging it wherever you'd like.
It would look pretty hanging from your mantle or even wrapped around your tree. Since we don't have a fireplace, I've taken to treating our buffet as a mantle. You work with what you have!
Let me know if you try this project. I'd love to see what fabrics you choose!


No comments:
Post a Comment