So, it looks like we won't have to ignore my whole "I'm going to try to make a felt Christmas tree" promise after all. Saturday after my comprehensive finals (which didn't go so badly, but I'll find out the final results Friday), I tackled my own version of a child's Christmas tree and am pretty pleased with the outcome! I think Preston was pretty happy, too.
I decided to make Preston his own Christmas tree because 1) I thought it'd keep his hands off the real one and 2) he loves stickers and sticking things on/pulling things off stuff, so having his own tree to decorate seemed like his cup of tea. However, most of the felt trees I had seen on Pinterest were flat and stuck on the wall. I didn't really want to put anything on the wall, and I liked the idea of a stand-alone version we could move around. So I started working on how to make a base for a 3D tree.
I figured cardboard would be the easiest thing to find and began a search for a large box. Luckily, I didn't have to look too far because we still had the box our dining room table was delivered in. It was perfect. I used a tripod box to estimate the height and a diaper box for the length of the base to achieve that perfect Christmas tree isosceles triangle. I cut out the first triangle and used it as the template for three more triangles.
Initially, I'd brought out a pair of scissors to cut the triangles out, but just three cuts was murder on my hands, so I opted for Scott's knife. It was much easier to manage, but the whole time I felt like I needed adult supervision. Then I realized I was the adult in the situation and worried for the future generation for whom I'm responsible to watch in blade-wielding situations.
I used the pieces as the pattern for four triangles of green felt, which I bought four yards of, before my sister and I taped the cardboard pieces into a pyramid with packing tape. We ended up only making the tree three-sided because it was easier to keep three pieces aligned to tape than it was with four.
I didn't like how flat the tree looked with just the felt triangles. It needed some texture, so I cut five-inch wide strips of felt long enough to wrap around the tree and scalloped the edges. Then I wrapped each around a section of the tree. I cut down the excess fabric that would result in the strip turning around the angle and tucked it under each side with some more hot glue. It caused a little bumpiness in some spots, but not too badly.
Then, using square sheets of colored felt, I cut out the ornaments, their embellishments, and the star for the top. One sheet of each color was plenty, and I had some leftover even after making 15 ornaments. I also bought some thick, yellow ric-rac for tinsel that I ended up not using except as ornament embellishment. In the end, the whole thing cost me $17, and I had a lot of green felt left over. I would've probably been OK with just three yards, but I didn't want to run out mid-project and had no idea how much I'd need having never done anything like this before. It took me about four and a half hours to complete.
I'm really happy with the end result! Preston has been happily taking the ornaments off and sticking them back on, clapping for himself every time. I hope it becomes one of those iconic Christmas decorations for him — like the pair of wooden reindeer my grandfather made are for me — that whenever we unpack the Christmas boxes, it's the thing he looks forward to and feels like Christmas to him.




Thanks! The time/effort didn't seem too terrible because I was excited to give it to Preston and I knew it was a one-time deal. I don't think I could handle making a bunch of them!
ReplyDelete