Tuesday, January 21, 2014
I've got the (winter) blues
Allow me to explain my unintended two-week break.
After the holidays pass, I get a little blue. I can handle winter when there's Christmas to look forward to and all of the excitement it brings, but once the tree is put away and it's back to regularly scheduled programing, I'm ready for spring to arrive.
Luckily, this winter cloud of sadness has a silver lining this year: the Olympics. I have loved the Olympics since I was young, alternating between dreams of becoming an Olympic gymnast or a figure skater every two years. I love the pride each country shows during the opening ceremonies and the amazement on the faces of the athletes marching into the stadium. It's like the whole world stops what its doing for a moment and celebrates each other and the spirit of competition.
I was especially thankful for the last summer Olympic games in London. They began right after I returned to work from maternity leave, and they gave me something to look forward to when I was upset about being away from my little guy for a good chunk of the day. After work, Scott, Preston and I would curl up on the couch and get in some snuggle time and watch beach volleyball and the high dive.
So, with the Olympics to buoy my spirits, here's to making it through these weeks of winter. Who knew bobsledding could be such a mood lifter?
(P.S. This winter blues thing gets me every year. Here's one post I did on how to beat the winter doldrums a couple of years ago.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment