Thursday, November 1, 2012

Thankful for Scott

Home Bible study, 2006: Where we first met

To celebrate the days leading up to Thanksgiving, I thought I'd start a little "thankful for" series where I can share (and remind myself of) all the blessings God has provided.

I thought I'd start of today with Scott. Nov. 1 is an important day for us — it's the day we began dating seven years ago. He was, quite literally, the answer to my prayers.

I came into my freshman year at Harding with wide eyes and dreams of finding the one. Having dated no one in high school, this was the place where I'd find my future mister. Obviously, he was going to be the very first guy I dated in college, and, when that very first guy I dated in college dumped me a month later, I was heartbroken — probably (definitely) more than I needed to be.

Crying on my little twin bed in Sears dorm, I prayed that I would never be dumped again. I asked God for the next person I dated to be the last person I dated, even if that meant I had to wait until I was 40.

A month or two into sophomore year, I met Scott. When we'd been dating a couple of months, I remembered that prayer. I don't know why, but I was surprised that God had actually listened to that weepy prayer of a over-dramatic girl, and that he had sent me exactly what I needed.

So, here we are, seven years later. We've been through job changes, going to school, house buying, having a baby, and the small minutia of daily life. There is no one who I'd rather have by my side, as my best friend, husband, and father to our son.

I'm so thankful that God listened to my prayer and how wonderfully he provided for me — and that it didn't take until I was 40 after all.

1 comment:

  1. Such a sweet post Jennifer! You may have just inspired me to do some Thankful posts soon as well.

    ReplyDelete