Monday, March 21, 2011

Happy camper

I don't know what kind of vibe I put out that prompted everyone to reply "What??" when I told them we were going camping this past weekend. So I might prefer air conditioning to sweltering heat and might have brought my flat iron camping. That doesn't mean I can't enjoy the great outdoors. It just means I'll need an electrical outlet and a little time to fix my hair appropriately.

The main reasons we accepted Rusty and Cassie's invitation was because they had a camper, meaning I'd be sleeping indoors. Well, the main reason was because we really like Rusty and Cassie. I'll put the camper second. 

After getting set up, eating dinner and running around Walmart Friday night, we returned to the camper and got ready for bed. The bed Scott and I shared was a little more than a twin bed, and we had to alternate who would sleep on their side and who would get to sleep on their back. The camper wall and I became good friends. 

Saturday morning, we decided to explore the showers the lady who ran the campground claimed to be "very nice and clean." She has a very loose definition of both nice and clean, as the showers were in a glorified shack with no hot water and holes that clearly looked into the men's side. Cassie and I decided warmth trumped clean and retreated. Scott stuck it out. His shrieks could be heard across the campsite.

Please note how the word "hot" is radiating steam. It's a double lie.

Cassie and I did find a shower with hot water in the other bathhouse. It was quite a relief. Once we were all clean, we headed to Blanchard Springs Caverns to tour the cave there. It was beautiful! My picture doesn't do the huge underground cave justice. I can see why Cassie insists on going every time she's there. Our guide really, really loved his job. And while he was hilarious in his hippie caveman ways, you can't fault someone who clearly loves what they do and enjoys every minute of it. I highly recommend visiting the caverns if you ever have the opportunity.

It reminds me of the castle in "The Little Mermaid."

Once above ground, we went into town for lunch and shopping. We stopped at pharmacy/soda shop for dessert. We got to sit at the counter and watch them mix up our milkshakes and coke floats. One of the perks of the place is that, if there's any of your shake left in the metal mixing cup, they give you that, too. Needless to say, we were filled to the brim.


The rest of the time, we ate too much, laughed at Cassie's BLT without the L or the T — plus ketchup ("One of these days, someone's going to say, 'You know what? That is good!'"), the boys unleashed their pyro side around the campfire, we played cards, listened to people "picking and grinning" in the square, watched a little boy show off his dancing "skills," failed to see the super full moon thanks to the clouds, learned how to maneuver in a camper without hitting your head (some, like me, succeeded thanks to the fact I'm pretty low to the ground. Others, like Scott, failed.), saw the most Elvis memorabilia per square foot in the Rainbow Cafe, and became incredibly thankful for hot showers once we arrived home. 

Most importantly, we got to hang out with two very incredible people and laugh the whole weekend. Rusty and Cassie, in the words of our dear friend Greg, "nice to know you." Thanks for the fantastic weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Aww... looks like a fun trip. I haven't gone camping in so long! Anyway, sweet blog. Newest follower. :)

    rope bracelet GIVEAWAY !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww... looks like a fun trip. I haven't gone camping in so long! Anyway, sweet blog. Newest follower. :)

    rope bracelet GIVEAWAY !!

    ReplyDelete