Anyway, as some of you may know, I'm the proud momma of a little tomato baby, Sally. (You know, like Sally Tomato in "Breakfast at Tiffany's.") I've been diligently watering and checking up on her, pruning any suckers (which I just learned about a few weeks ago) or dead leaves, and pampering my little plant, hoping all of my doting will result in homegrown tomatoes this summer.
Here's the thing though. Unlike my dad, I am severely lacking in the green thumb gene. Mine is more of a black thumb — a thumb of mass destruction. The poppies I begged for last fall and promised to water but quickly turned into a tumbleweed are an example of the carnage in my path.
When I went out to water Sally Saturday night, I made an exciting discovery. There was a gumball-sized green tomato hanging on the vine. I poked my head in the door and yelled to Scott, "I didn't kill it!" I was so happy I hadn't singlehandedly murdered my tomato. Bruschetta, here we come!
| My tomato baby is growing up fast. |
No comments:
Post a Comment