Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Off the bookshelf: The Help


"You have to read The Help." 

When I got my Kindle, that book was recommended once for every other book suggested. So, never one to ignore good advice, I downloaded it as one of my beach reads. When I finished, I knew it was definitely worth all of the eager recommendations.

Set in the civil rights movement era in Jackson, Miss., the book follows Aibileen and Minny, who are black housekeepers, trusted to raise the children of their white employers but not allowed to use the same restroom, and Miss Skeeter, a recent graduate of Ole Miss who received a degree but not a husband much to the chagrin of her mother and yearns to be a writer. Together the trio document the secrets of the household help to change their surroundings and themselves in the process.

The author created such strong characters you feel that they are real, living and breathing people. Her villain, Hilly Holbrook, is so vividly described that it's easy to really, truly dislike her. She's really terrible. You know it's a good book when you audibly gasp, feel your blood pressure rise with anger, and tear up at a sweet moment. And I did all of these things.

I join the chorus of those who recommended this book to me because you should really read this book. It's been made into a movie and will come out in August, so you have time to read it before then if you're one of those types. If not, do it anyway. You'll thank me for it. I'll be waiting right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment