Friday, July 22, 2011
What a day
Well, here's the car. It's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be, but it's definitely not in the condition I last saw it.
Despite the stress of the car wreck, we actually had a nice evening. At about 4:45 the body shop called and said that the tow truck driver and failed to get the car key from Scott and therefore we needed to go back to Little Rock and drop it off. We loaded up in our little rental (a roller-skate otherwise known as a Chevy Cobalt) and headed back.
Once we dropped of the key, we decided we needed to do something fun, so we went to Pei Wei (not Taco Bell) for dinner. It was nice to feel like we were out for a special reason (since dinner in Little Rock is a special event) in the midst of a trying day. When we opened our fortune cookies, we got a nice reminder that things weren't really that bad.
Yet another reminder that the car is just a thing, that we have God and each other, and that is just what we need. Plus, the wreck was an "unexpected event," so maybe we'll be getting some riches out of that?
Afterward, I decided Scott needed some cheering up, so we went to his favorite place on earth — The Container Store, a veritable heaven on earth for Type-A's. We then headed home, playing our version of "Name That Tune" with Cranium's Humdinger rules. (If your not familiar with the game Cranium or its Humdinger cards, let me explain. You've got to get your partner to guess the song by only humming or whistling. It can be quite difficult based on the song or the hummer.) Scott boasted about his whistling skills, while mine were less than great. It's hard to whistle when you're laughing. I do think I did a pretty great rendition of Weezer's "Say It Ain't So," though.
There's an Italian Renaissance idea of romance called sprezzatura. It means that you find the romance in your ordinary life. (I'd like to say that I learned this from my studies in Italian culture or through reading the manuscripts of ancient Italian philosophers, but, alas, I learned it from Ames on "The Bachelorette.") I realized that last night in the car coming home, laughing and whistling and enjoying our night despite the fact the morning had been so difficult. That's why I can say that yesterday was a good day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment