Before baby, I had high standards for the toys that would come into our home. They would be wooden, no garish colors, and no batteries. They would not take over our house, and they would serve multiple purposes. Well, only the "multiple purposes" standard has survived post baby. (There's a whole list of things I said I'd do in parenting that have fallen by the wayside, but that's another post for another day.) But I've learned that, if he's happy, then I'm happy.
Preston's started to show favoritism toward a few of his toys, and it's fun to see his face light up when he sees them and happily plays with each of them. Here's what he's been drawn toward lately.
2. Stacking Rings: A baby classic. When he first placed a ring on the stand, you would've thought he'd cured cancer by my reaction. He's gotten used to the praise, though, so now when he does it he turns, looks at you, and waits for a hand clap and "Yay!" The sweet thing is that he'll return the praise, as I get an occasional clap and "Aaaay!" at some point during the day.
3. Board Books: Preston likes any and all books, but this Baby Einstein first words book is his favorite. A baby shower gift, this book is full of pictures — from everyday items to animals, colors to foods — for him to look at. Other favorites include Hop on Pop, Harry the Dirty Dog, Put Me in the Zoo, and Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed.
4. Shape Sorter: While he's not quite able to stick the triangle in the triangle hole, he does love playing with the blocks and moving them in and out of the bucket with the lid off. He also likes for me to stack them so he can knock them over.
5. Pig Plushie: I call this pig "Woo Pig" because his arms are perfect for acting out calling the hogs (which Preston makes a valiant effort in mimicking. He sticks his arms out to the side and says "Oooo!" instead of "Wooo.") Woo Pig is also super soft and very cuddly.
6. Activity Walker: Preston isn't using this as a walker yet, but he loves to sit in front of it and press the buttons and listen to the music. It's also great because it encourages him to look straight ahead (versus down like the rings and sorter) which helps build those sitting up muscles.



No comments:
Post a Comment