Friday, January 11, 2013

Contact



Don't get in a staring contest with a baby. You'll lose. I learned that lesson the other night while I was holding Preston. Cradled in my arms, he was looking up at me with his hand on my cheek locked in a stare down.

As I was looking back at him, I realized the beauty of childhood innocence. He doesn't know to be self conscious. He doesn't feel awkward or feel, like many adults do, that prolonged eye contact is an uncomfortable thing. How often do you find yourself looking into someone's eyes before you visually dart them in a new direction. There is something very intimate about eye contact, and too much can freak you out.

But not for Preston. He just stares back at me, studying my face while I study his, sweetly patting my cheek. He doesn't feel embarrassed; he just loves and shows it. He has no concept of hiding his feelings. It feels good to be loved so unabashedly.

It's such a blessing to be his momma.

1 comment:

  1. Makes me realize how God must feel when we focus intently on Him!

    ReplyDelete