Thursday, July 21, 2011

Things






























I chide Scott when he forgets to call or text me on the days he drives to Little Rock. I just like to know he's made it there safely. Usually I take the "no news is good news" approach and let it go. This morning as he left I said, "Try to call me if you remember." He replied, "I'll try; I'll try." I took that as a "I probably won't."

When my phone rang, I was surprised he actually remembered, even more so that he was calling and not the usual "Here." text message. His first words were not what I expected. "I've been in a wreck," he said. "I'm fine, but the car is in bad shape." Even though I clearly heard the words "I'm fine," the tears had already started falling. Just the idea that he was stranded an hour away from me and could've been hurt was too much. I felt helpless. After giving me the details, he hung up to call the police, and I prayed a quick prayer of thanksgiving that it was only the car and not something much, much worse.

Between tow trucks, insurance agents, body shops and car rentals, I was reminded that these are just things — silly, small, trivial things that mean nothing in the grand scheme of it all. I didn't care that his coffee had rained down a sticky, staining mess in the interior or that the car might be completely totaled. All that mattered was that Scott wasn't hurt and that God had protected him. That's all that matters. I'm so incredibly thankful for that.

5 comments:

  1. Oh no!  I am so glad he is okay!  Praying for ya'll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear he's alright. That can be really scary! I've been in a wreck before and I'm a whole new driver because of it. Everything scares me on the road now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As his favorite mother-in-law,  I am so thankful he is okay.  We can replace the car but he is one of a kind.  Love you both!  Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's such a scary thing to hear that someone you love has been in a wreck! The scariest thing I've ever experienced was when I drove by my car on the tow truck completely totaled. I'm so glad that Scott was not hurt!

    ReplyDelete