Short people and standing-room-only concerts don't mix. My sister and I learned that the hard way this weekend. Courtney came down (up? over?) to see the Avett Brothers concert as part of the First Thaw Festival that Harding was hosting this past weekend.
The concert wasn't in the Benson, per the usual Harding concert standard, but in the Rhodes Field House. It gave the concert a different vibe, although predominantly white church of Christ folks look quite silly standing at a concert. We don't know what to do with ourselves. We severely lack rhythm. And only half of us feel comfortable clapping to music.
After trying, and failing, to sit in the higher up seats so we could see, Courtney and I staked out our spot in the back, trying to maintain a good distance from others. We like our space and prefer not to smell the body odors of others. That also failed. At standing concerts, no one ever, ever stays where they started off. Can't they just sell the tickets for a marked off square foot? I can stand in my little box happy and free from the body heat of others? We got stuck behind some mammoth guys who obviously obeyed their mothers and ate their veggies to grow big and strong.
| "Sister, sister! Never knew how much I'd missed ya." |
I always feel like I'm too set in my old lady ways when I go to things like this. I like to be in bed at a reasonable hour, and loud noises bother me and my already poor hearing. It's always nice to have a partner in old-ladiness, though, and Courtney is just that. By the end of the night, we were bemoaning our sore feet and bad backs, ringing ears and scratchy voices, not to mention how hot it was inside. Yes, there's no denying we're sisters.
All of that aside, though, we did have a wonderful time. We did manage to steal a few glimpses of the Brothers on tip-toes and peaking around the broad shoulders of others. The Avett Brothers put on an amazing show, and we were happy that they played all of the songs we wanted to hear. Even if it meant being in bed far past my bedtime.
Prior to the concert, Scott and I took advantage of the pretty day and meandered around town. After a trip to Lowe's, we had all the makings of our first patio garden. Scott got a bunch of herbs, and I got a tomato plant. There's nothing quite like a homegrown tomato, and I'm reminded of that every summer I don't have any. This year I'm changing that.
I've become very protective of my fledgling vine. I pulled it out of the elements last night because I was scared today's thunderstorms would wreck it. In 50 days, my Early Girl tomato plant should be producing fruit. We'll see if I don't kill it first.
I hope that means you will be bringing tomatoes to the office. :)
ReplyDeleteha ha!! total agreement with it all. it was SOOO hot in there. I believe I was sweating before it even started.
ReplyDelete