Monday, April 18, 2011

Red and white and green with envy

"I wish DJ Williams would be there," I said to Scott as he finished reading of the names of the former Razorback football players who would be signing autographs at Razorfest — an event held before the Red and White spring practice game. "I know," he said, "but it'll probably be awhile before he comes to one of these things. He's going to be in the NFL for a long time."

You see, DJ Williams is probably my favorite Razorback. Not only is he a great football player, winning the John Mackey Award in 2010 as the best tight end in college football, but he's also a great person. Coming from a rough childhood, DJ rose from adversity and has become an excellent role model for little Razorbacks-to-be playing catch and claiming players to be in their front lawn. If I had a little boy, he'd definitely have his own number 45 jersey.

For Scott's birthday weekend, we went to Fayetteville to see the Red and White game and see the Razorback baseball team play. When we arrived, we were shocked at how cold and windy it was — not exactly what you picture when you think of a spring game. Shivering, we ducked into our favorite bookstore and bought sweatshirts to keep us warm during the day's events.

First stop was the football stadium. In the surrounding parking lot before the game, different events were set up, one of which was the autograph table. We surveyed the players, seeing if there was anyone worth waiting in a Splash Mountain-length line for. But, being impatient, we passed. Besides, there was no DJ.


A high point of the game was watching the two prospective quarterbacks duke it out. Will all the little boys (and some grown men) be wearing number 8 (Tyler Wilson) or 17 (Brandon Mitchell) next year. Who knows. If the winning team is any indication, then you'd better be scooping up your 8 jerseys right now, as the White team won pretty convincingly.

By the end of the third quarter, it was getting pretty chilly. The stands were starting to clear. Sitting there, minding my own business, I hear Scott say, "Hey! It's DJ Williams!"

Ha ha, funny man. Scott's favorite pastime is taking advantage of my gullibility, and I wasn't going to fall for it. But I did look over where he was pointing, just in case.

And wouldn't you know it, coming up the stairs next to our row was my favorite Razorback. What do you do?! We frantically searched for a pen for him to sign Scott's hat with as he moved closer to us.

"Hey, DJ," Scott said. "Can I get a picture?" And that's when the birthday boy got the greatest present ever.

Have you seen the commercial for Disney World where all the little boy talks about it meeting Mickey Mouse, but when the time comes had he actually meets Mickey, he's so stunned and can't say anything at all? That was me. The shock of actually getting to meet the guy I'd been so eagerly wanting to see got the better of me, and I couldn't find the words to say, "Me, too!" until he was already gone. I kicked myself for that the rest of the day. My mother-in-law put it in good perspective though. Now I have a picture of my two favorite guys. I am still a little jealous, though.

After the game, we made it over to the baseball field to watch the Razorbacks take on Mississippi State. We didn't stay for long though, as the cold weather got the best of us, and we decided to take refuge in Doe's Eat Place, warmed by the best tamales, steaks and drop biscuits ever.

It was a great weekend, and I'm definitely looking forward to more trips to Fayetteville this fall. Now all we have to do is find a good frame for Scott and DJ's picture — and someone to Photoshop me in on the other side.

1 comment:

  1. First spring game I missed in 5 years, AND... it was on TV. Boo!

    Coo Pic with DJ!

    ReplyDelete