Friday, February 25, 2011

So I married an Oscar encyclopedia


About two months into my relationship with Scott, I realized just how big of a movie buff I was dating — a man who, as a child, kept a binder full of Oscar knowledge; who can name Best Actor for 1953, Best Picture for 1982, and Best Adapted Screen Play for 1976, among others; and who, on a Sunday night, would rather go back to his dorm to watch the Academy Awards than hang out with his lovely, sweet, extremely cute new girlfriend.

I've forgiven him for his past transgression for one reason only — he made it a competition. For several years now, Scott and I have printed Academy Awards ballots and seen who can get the most right in the evening. The promise of bragging rights for the year is enough to get this little lady amped up for anything.

When we were students without electric bills or car payments, we went and saw every movie that was nominated in the "big four:" best picture, director, actor and actress. I remember going to see "The Queen" at 2 p.m. followed by "Letters from Iwo Jima" at 5:30 one day. We were very committed the cause.

That same year, we held our first Oscar party with the stipulation that all foods must be related to a nominated movie. I won with my "Lettuce (wraps) from Iwo Jima." However, the "Departed cheesecake" with strawberry blood oozing off it was a close second. (The year after that, we just bought a gallon of milk for "Milk.")

This year, we've gone high-tech with our Oscar predictions with the Oscar app. And while it doesn't answer my annual question of "What is cinematography?" it does have all the trailers and Oscar history of the nominees, which I feel will give me an edge on Scott this year.

We haven't decided whether we'll make "True Grits" or "The King's Peach Cobbler" for Sunday night. Maybe a "127 Hour" pot roast? But for now, I've got to research the short film, both animated and live action, nominees as well as look up what the difference between sound editing and sound mixing is — again. I never can remember.

So, who's your "best picture" pick?

No comments:

Post a Comment