I'm already slipping at this, and it hasn't even been a week. Conclude what you will about how that parallels to my New Year's resolutions.
What better way to catch up than in my jammies on a sick day? Other than rest and fluids, I'm pretty sure it's exactly what the doctor ordered.
#5: A song that reminds you of someone
Dad will be very embarrassed that I'm sharing this with the entire Internet, but there was a time when he really liked Shania Twain. One afternoon, Courtney and I were bumming around watching TV on the couch when Dad walked through the room. I don't know what prompted it, but while walking up the stairs he started singing "Man, I Feel Like a Woman," and the hilarity of our father singing a song about feeling like a woman struck us so hard that we couldn't stop laughing. So, every now and then, Courtney and I still razz Dad about "feeling like a woman."
#6: A song that reminds you of someplace
Scott and I went to Jamaica for our honeymoon — a wonderful relaxing escape from the stresses of winter weather, wedding planning and studying for finals. From the minute we got off the plane to the time we stepped back on, we heard Bob Marley nonstop. You'd think the Jamaican people would want to fight the Marley stereotype, but he is their native son, and they embrace him and his music wholeheartedly. On the shuttle from the airport to our resort, we were sandwiched between our own luggage and other newlywed couples of various ages. One particularly nerdy looking fellow seemed to have a deep love for Jamaican culture and sang loudly (poorly) along when "Three Little Birds" by Bob Marley came over the radio. His new bride seemed peeved.
For the rest of our stay, at any given time of the day, either Scott or I could be caught humming, whistling or singing that song. It brings to mind lots of good memories.
#7: A song that reminds you of a certain event
I went to a private Christian high school, and while my husband who attended public school and his class picked "Here's to the Night" by Eve 6 as their class song, my class was to pick a hymn. We all voted that "Father God" would be the song we sang at graduation. When I sing that song now, I remember sitting in white polyester in a too-small graduation cap on a metal fold-out chair in the Allen Arena and what those words meant as I took this first step into "adulthood" or whatever phase of your life came with college. "May my steps be worship, may my thoughts be praise, may my words bring honor to your name" was our prayer as we looked out into what the future held.
so... funny story. The youTube link you put on there has "Camp Manatawny" on it.... that is my camp! I went there all growing up. That's funny. :)
ReplyDelete