Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Day 22: A song that I workout to

The ups and downs of my relationship with running — the grand promises and the bleak reality — have been excellent blogging fodder. And while I resolved to at least run a 5K this year, I learned something amid my running induced whimpers — I really hate running. I mean, I hate it. I don't feel that feeling of accomplishment when I've finished whatever day of Couch to 5K I've just marked off my list; I feel like kicking the treadmill for a few hours and calling it names.

So, if I loathe it so deeply, why have I placed this goal in front of me? It's like saying I hate peanut butter, so I'm going to try to beat the world record for most peanut butter eaten in one sitting. (Side note: I do like peanut butter.) Why drag myself out of bed to do something I can't stand? There's really no point. Yes, I should exercise or do something remotely physical (sorry, couch), but it doesn't have to be running.

But this was supposed to be a song I workout to and not a tangent making me feel better about not running. This is the one song that I really enjoyed running to. It made me feel like a real athlete not some silly girl whining on a treadmill. I may or may not have put my hands up when the song indicated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment